Monday 7 October 2013

Updating the Bond Electraglide with modern electronics


Earlier this year I bought a Bond Electraglide guitar. The Electraglide was the Delorean of the guitar world, an 80′s dream of a future instrument that sadly crashed and burned because the idea outreached the technology of the time.

The guitar had many innovations, fully electronic internals with a digital read out, a completely original fretboard with stepped aluminium ridges instead of frets and a composite body that although not carbon fibre is similar in look and feel.

Unfortunately the Bond cost too much to make and although an intriguing design that used high quality components, it was a financial failure. It was unreliable, with the outboard power supply often failing and guitars being robbed of parts to get others working. The case alone cost over £150K in tooling and although it was championed by the Edge from U2, Mick Jones of Big Audio Dynamite and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, it only lasted a year in production.

Only 1400 were recorded as being made, with the real number most likely under 1,000. They are closet classics, their scarcity and originality sure to make them future collector items. You can still pick one up hundreds of pounds if you are lucky, although shops sell them for thousands.

So I have one, or rather as of two weeks ago,  two. I have an original, clean and complete Bond with case and PSU and now a second Bond, with tatty case and no electronics.

So what to do with the incomplete one? My idea is simple. Using modern electronics, make the Bond what it should have been – a modern guitar. However it won’t be all digital, I love the analogue sounds of old guitars and so I want to use different pathways for audio and control.

I plan to use an Arduino for switching and OLED display control, but then use all-analogue pathways for the output of the pickups to the amp. I will use relays for signal switching and the one concession to digital control will be to use digital potentiometers to adjust tone and volume.

Once I have the basic guitar controls in place, I plan to go further with a tuner based on the Arduino and then look at other built in analogue effects, such as a tube screamer or boost. I may even extend to using EMG pickups if I can get some at a good price.

Finally, a new paint job may be in order, depending on the price again. I think a pearlescent white might be in order, or perhaps one of the colour shifting car paints.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, have got any further with your rebuild, I have a Bond Guitar blank which I'm thinking of building up and need help with electronics design, Cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, the guitar has been gathering dust for a while, but I do plan to get back to it and finish the design and wiring. I've changed my ideas quite a bit since I wrote this and I haven't perfected the circuits yet or tried to improve audio quality. It's really a chance for me to experiment and see what I can come up with.

    When I do finish some parts off, I'll update this page, but in the meantime I'd recommend looking over hobby sites as that's where I got a lot of ideas.

    You could also wire it up using traditional circuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any plans on selling a kit so others could enjoy this ,, would be sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just acquired a bond version 3 #1250 and she is near mint, only problem is the main pcb may be damaged as it looks like there is a spot where the copper has been scratched away on the pcb, really wanting to get some good clear pics of another main pcb to see if they are the same . Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks Mark Baker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Markus,

    I did actually continue the project and documented a lot of it here:

    http://www.beardow.com/cyberglide.html

    I don't think the boards are really as good as I'd like them to be yet, the output is way too low and I need to make the tuner work better. I'll continue to upload modifications as I improve the circuits. It's also still a bit of a hack, making a kit out of it would be prohibitively expensive.

    I'm on a business trip right now, but hen I get back I'll dig out the original and see if I can get some pics of the PCB.

    Regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul, well after all these years I have managed to source a brand new fretboard for my electraglide blank from Andy Bond's son Ashley. So the plan is to make it stock in looks, but use analogue electronics. Cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in the 90's my neighbor found s/n 327 at the dump, stripped of all electronics. I put 2 pickups, a switch, volume and tone. I love this guitar. It plays like a dream. It's time for me to give mine an update.

    ReplyDelete